Buckingham Palace said on Thursday that Queen Elizabeth II, who has cut back on public appearances due to ill health and old age, will not attend this summer’s royal garden parties.
Every summer, three parties with invited members of the public take place in Buckingham Palace Gardens in central London, and another at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.
Since becoming queen in 1952, her annual garden parties have been attended by more than 1.45 million people.
But a royal official said: “Her Majesty the Queen will be represented at this year’s garden parties by other members of the Royal Family, with attendance details to be confirmed in due course.”
The monarch recently returned to Windsor Castle after a week-long break at his Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England, where he privately marked his 96th birthday on 21 April.
Imperial tradition since the 18th century has also seen the emperor have a second, official birthday, usually celebrated in the warm season in June.
This year’s official birthday coincides with four days of public events from June 2 to June 5, marking the record-breaking 70th year on the throne.
Since an unscheduled overnight stay at the hospital last October, she has largely cut back on public appearances on doctor’s orders.
A back complaint and difficulties standing and walking have caused her to cancel several engagements, while a bout of Covid-19 in February left her “very tired and exhausted”, she admitted.
But her grandson Prince Harry told US broadcaster NBC in a recent interview that she was “in great form”.
The Queen was last seen at Westminster Abbey in central London on March 29 at a memorial service for her late husband Prince Philip, who died last year at the age of 99.
(This story has not been edited by Dailynewscatch staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)