Human remains were found in a New Zealand coal mine, police said on Wednesday, more than a decade after one of the country’s worst industrial disasters.
Twenty-nine men were killed after a series of explosions ignited by methane ravaged the Pike River mine on the west coast of the South Island in November 2010. Two men managed to escape.
The mine has been closed and entry prohibited for years due to safety concerns. Investigators were finally allowed access in 2019 following calls from the families of the minors.
Police said images taken late last week while drilling deep into the mine confirmed two bodies, with the possibility of a third. However, the remains were far from the entrance to the mine and could not be recovered.
“Although we have not been able to identify the remains, we are working with forensic experts to see what we can do to confirm their identity,” Detective Superintendent Peter Read said.
Investigators believe there were six to eight people working in the area where the remains were found, he added.
(Except for the title, this story was not edited by DAILYNEWSCATCH staff and is posted from a syndicated feed.)