Lucknow:

The Lucknow court of the Allahabad High Court on Friday rejected the bail statement of Samajwadi Party deputy Mohd Azam Khan in connection with the appointment of 1,300 engineers, clerks and stenographers in Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam during the previous regime.

The recruitment took place when Azam Khan was the Minister of Urban Development.

Azam Khan is currently in treatment at a private hospital in Lucknow after he tested positive for coronavirus.

In approving the order, Judge Rajeev Singh said that Azam Khan is already in judicial custody in the case, as he received an order on November 19 last year at Sitapur Jail and as such the advance bail statement. could not be maintained.

The bond statement was submitted by attorneys for Azam Khan, Kapil Sibal, and IB Singh.

Additional government attorney Santosh Kumar Mishra objected to the release on bail, arguing that the court in question had sent an order to Azam Khan in Sitapur jail and it was delivered to him the next day.

Therefore, he is already considered to be in court custody in the case, so his advance bail statement cannot be upheld, the lawyer said.

Given this, Azam Khan’s lawyers argued that if he is considered to be in judicial custody, he should be entitled to a default bond because the charge sheet in the case was filed on May 25 of this year, after a period 90 days from November 19.

The court said that Azam Khan can move to the appropriate court for a default bond and that the High Court cannot consider the same at this stage.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is posted from a syndicated feed.)